The Morgan Hill Museum
Once the home of orchardist John Acton, and his family, this 1911 Craftsman style home was built at 170 Warren Avenue near Nob Hill. Eventually acquired by Chris and Ida Williams, it was donated it to the City in 1980 for use as a community museum. In 1983 the Morgan Hill Historical Society moved it to Main Street near City Hall where it was open until 2005 when it was once again moved to make way for a new library. Now located at Villa Mira Monte, it gives a sense of life Morgan Hill in the 1930’s. The Museum is a repository for archives and object collections, including artifacts, maps, photos, manuscripts, clippings and memorabilia. Special exhibits are rotated on a yearly basis.
Archival materials are available for research by appointment only; please call and make reservations. Museum resources cannot be removed from the premises, but photocopies may be made for a nominal charge. Please be aware that older records and some bound materials cannot be copied. For inquiries and appointments Contact Us or call (408) 408-779-5755.
Centennial History Trail
In 2006, the Morgan Hill Historical Society, in partnership with the Morgan Hill Centennial Committee, established a spiral Centennial History Trail in a beautiful park-like setting to celebrate the City’s founding in 1906. The trail winds through over 100 events in a chronological history of our community while at the same time sets our history into perspective with national and global events. The design encourages visitors to relax in this peaceful garden setting and reminisce about our past.
The Rose Gardens
Villa Mira Monte is a showcase of magnificent rose gardens with a wide variety of over 300 rose bushes. In bloom most of the year, the roses offer spectacular color and elegance. A spectacular wisteria plant at the front of the veranda of the Morgan Hill House is over 100 years old. It is kept trimmed back today, but in the past its rambling vines covered the entire front of the veranda.
The grounds are open to the public seven days a week year round. The House and Museum are open Fridays from 12 pm to 3 pm and on Saturdays from 10 am to 1 pm.
Interested in learning more about our local history and those who shaped our community into what it is today? Stop in and check out the books and DVDs at the Museum Book Shop. Profits support the operation and maintenance of Villa Mira Monte.
- Children’s Discovery Book About Morgan Hill, published by Cindy Miller, 2010
- Hiram Morgan, Beth Wyman, 1983, published by Beth Wyman. Autographed
- Enchantress, Sorceress, Madwoman: The True Story of Sarah Althea Hill, Adventures of Old San Francisco, by Robin C. Johnson. 2015
- Images if America: Morgan Hill, 2005, U.R. Sharma
- Views of Morgan Hill, 2010, Ian Sanders
- More Views of Morgan Hill, 2013, Ian Sanders & Michael Brookman
- Mineral Springs of Santa Clara County, 2013, Ian Sanders
Forgotten Journey – The Stephens – Townsend – Murphy Saga, 2001. John Krizek, Executive Producer.
Stories of the Past, Founders Dinner. Morgan Hill Historical Society, Produced by 152 West Productions. 2014 and 2015
Hiram Morgan Hill House
The Morgan Hill House is unique, incorporating the best features
of Queen Anne and Stick/Eastlake design. It was built in 1884-1886 by Hiram Morgan Hill for his bride, Diana Murphy Hill. The couple, along with their daughter Diane, lived in San Francisco and used the house as a country retreat for themselves and their many friends. In fact, the town acquired its name because train conductors would call out, “Morgan Hill’s” when making special stops for the Hill’s guests to disembark.
The House was sold by the Hills in 1912 and was subsequently a private home and an antique shop. In 1992 Vila Mira Monte was deeded to the Morgan Hill Historical Society with the proviso that it be rescued from dereliction and be open to the public. After six years of extensive work, it was opened in the summer of 1998.
The Rose Gardens
Books and things
Hiram Morgan Hill House
Designed by: Rosalinda Solorzano