top of page
George Edes House

10

George Edes House

95 West First Street, Morgan Hill, CA

Votaw Building 3.png

Votaw Building 3.png

George A. Edes in the 1890s. (Credit: Morgan Hill Times)

Votaw Building 3.png

What is the connection of this cottage to the Morgan Hill Times?

This modest Victorian cottage, built in 1896, was the home of George A. Edes, a pioneer in Morgan Hill’s newspaper industry. Edes arrived in the village in 1892 with the goal of establishing a local newspaper. With the support of local land developers, he published the first issue of the Morgan Hill Sun in April 1894, creating a newspaper that quickly became the voice of the growing community.


Soon afterward, his wife, Nettie, and their sons, Vertie and Clyde, joined him in Morgan Hill from South Dakota. In addition to publishing the Sun, Edes operated a printing business, continuing a family trade.


A few years later, President William McKinley appointed Edes as Morgan Hill’s postmaster. When a larger rival newspaper, the Morgan Hill Times, began publication in 1899, Edes sold the Sun to the competing paper in 1901 and devoted his attention to his postal duties. After retiring, he moved to Oakland, where he died in 1909.


Tracing its origins to the Morgan Hill Sun, the Morgan Hill Times remains the longest-operating business in Morgan Hill.


📍Morgan Hill Times - Story Beyond the Trail📍


📍Want to learn more about George A. Edes and the history of Morgan Hill's oldest continuously operating business, The Morgan Hill Times? Read more about it and other stories beyond the trail at the link below.




Visit Villa Mira Monte:
17860 Monterey Road
P. O. Box 1258
Morgan Hill, CA 95038-1258

Museum Hours:

Saturdays:  10:00-1:00

bottom of page