Morgan Hill Museum
The Morgan Hill Museum is housed in the 1911 farmhouse of orchardist John Acton and his family. Moved twice, it now resides in its permanent location and offers a unique look into our rich agricultural heritage and recounts stories of many of our residents.
The Museum is the repository of archives and object collections, including artifacts, maps, photos, manuscripts, clippings and memorabilia. Archival materials are available for research by appointment only; please call and make reservations. Museum resources cannot be removed from the premises, but photocopies may be made for a nominal charge. Please be aware that older records and some bound materials cannot be copied. For inquiries and appointments Contact Us or call (408) 408-779-5755.
Historic John Acton House
John Acton and his wife Charlotte moved to Morgan Hill from Minnesota in January 1910 to join Mrs. Acton's parents, George and Mary Kimble. In 1911, John Acton built a home at 170 Warren Avenue on Nob Hill for the cost of $2,700 and began a successful career as an orchardist. His son Edward Acton continued growing walnuts and other fruit crops on the family farm. Edward was also a prominent civic leader who served on the Morgan Hill City Council.
John Acton died in 1955, his widow the following year. Their daughter Haleyon inherited the property. It was eventually acquired by Chris and Ida Williams who in 1980 donated the house to the City of Morgan Hill for use as a community museum.
The Morgan Hill Historical Society moved the house to a location near City Hall in January 1983 and began the process of structural rehabilitation and collecting artifacts for display. The museum was first opened to the public in November 1984.
More than 20 years later, in October 2005, the Acton House was once again moved, this time to make way for the new library being constructed at the Civic Center site. It was relocated to the Villa Mira Monte property where it was fully renovated and restored.